Are you Looking for a job that allows you a flexible schedule? Packing officer jobs provide flexible work schedules while also perfect entry jobs for people interested in building a career manufacturing industry career.
A Packing Officer’s job is to ensure that manufactured products are ready for transport by putting them into containers, sealing and labelling the items, and preparing the item for transportation.
The packing officer job is simple enough yet takes a lot of handwork. Being good with your hands is something you should have. Working carefully yet with some level of speed is a great skill set to have as a potential package handler.
This is because manufacturing is often done in line and you need to package as products are completed from the production line. Packing officers are primarily responsible for roles such as wrapping and packing a range of products, including food and drink, medicines, clothing and footwear, furniture and furnishings, etc. You would be packing what your company makes. Say you get a job at a water bottling company, you would have to ensure that the bottles are not defective, ensure labels and branding are done, and finally get the products ready for transport.
Manufacturing companies are always working hard because they have to distribute their products and fulfil orders on time. Hence, there is usually less time for any errors. Accuracy in ensuring that each product meets the standards set by the company is key.
Who is a Packing Officer?
The packing officer is a typical manufacturing role that requires the employee to perform a bouquet of tasks and take on some responsibility when it comes to overseeing the packaging and packing of products for delivery.
In most companies, officers work based on a shift system and sometimes have some full days away from work. It all depends on the company and your arrangement with them.
Some of the tasks a packing officer is in charge of have been mentioned. But if you are looking to become a packing officer, you might need to know more than just what was mentioned.
Packing Officer Roles and Responsibilities
On a general level, these are the most common tasks and responsibilities that officers have to do on an almost daily basis.
- Select suitable packaging.
- Properly use packaging materials, including hand tools, glues, nails, padding, etc.
- Assembling boxes and crates.
- Preparing, cleaning, adjusting, and maintaining packing machinery.
- Checking products for faults before packing.
- Pack, weigh, and label completed items for shipment or storage.
- Follow all company guidelines regarding packaging.
- Identify and dispose of defective items.
- Identifying faults with machinery and stopping production if necessary.
- Placing packed items on pallets ready for dispatch.
- Operating a fork-lift truck.
- Maintain a clean work area.
- Weighing or counting goods.
- Keep complete records of all materials that go through the warehouse.
- Labelling packages.
- Maintaining records of completed work.
In some cases, you may not be responsible for everything on the list. And in some cases, you may do more. Packing managers who oversee the packing officers have more responsibility as they must ensure that these roles and tasks are well taken care of by the packing officers.
Skill Requirements & Education for Packing Officer Jobs
Skills for Packing Officer Jobs in Ghana
- Be willing to carry out repetitive tasks.
- Scanning and sorting outgoing stock
- Pulling, packing, and loading
- Be able to follow instructions.
- Be aware of health and safety regulations.
- Be good at working with their hands.
- Be able to work quickly and carefully.
- Be able to use machinery and packing tools such as knives, tape machines, hammers, and screwdrivers.
- Be able to work well alone and as part of a team.
- Be observant.
- Be physically fit.
- Be computer literate, to operate computerized controls.
- Have some machine maintenance skills.
- Have clear handwriting for writing labels.
- Receiving, stocking, and stacking
Educational Qualification for Packing Officer Jobs in Ghana
As already mentioned, most packing officer jobs do not require a lot of education. Hence having an SHS certificate or WASSCE qualification is a good starting point. The key skills are the ability to work hard on repetitive tasks, good with your hands, and obedience to instructions such as regulations and manufacturing standards.
- Experience in manufacturing or related fields is preferred.
- Basic shop skills, such as using hand tools.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Strong communication skills and desire to work with other team members.
Packing Officer Salary in Ghana
The average salary for a packing officer in Ghana makes between GH₵352.52 to GH₵3,163.22 per month. This is according to mywage.com and this range is updated for 2021. However, be sure to do your research and negotiate with your potential employer before signing the contract.
How to Get a Packing Officer Job in Ghana
Packing Officer jobs are one of the most flexible jobs you can have. With little to no education, you can quickly get started. However, to get to high-level roles in the manufacturing field, you will eventually need some qualifications and a good education.
Lots of Packing Officer Jobs in Ghana do not require experience. But we would advise you to pursue some qualifications to gain higher-level roles especially in the management area and becoming a player in manufacturing, logistics, and transport.
There are many skills utilized in the manufacturing and packing officer space. These skills can mostly be acquired and learned in the field itself.
Degrees or educational pursuits will require substantial time and funds. If you are working on a tight budget, you might want to start on the lower end of the manufacturing field and learn your way through. Acquire your qualifications while learning on the job. This provides a very good mix of theory and practice giving you a greater edge over those with just one.
Steps to Getting a Packing Officer Job in Ghana
The first step is to visit the TonatonJOBS platform to create a profile. It is an easy process and takes only a few minutes to complete. Creating your profile is the easiest way to build your resume which potential employers will use to shortlist you. The platform has lots of receptionist jobs, office assistant jobs, and storekeeper jobs waiting to be filled.
The final step is to prepare for an interview. Due to the nature of the job, you can expect it will require practical problem-solving skills which you may already have. But answering the common interview questions may not be something you know. Go through some practice over answering any question you think might be asked and prepare adequately for the interview.
A Packing Officer is the perfect job for someone with little education but wants to learn on the job, grow and become a successful manufacturing executive. In the manufacturing industry, you can learn as you work toward your education which will merit and climb to higher positions in your company.