Every job has those nuanced roles and responsibilities that require special skills and even greater levels of attitude to execute successfully. The Shop Attendant job is one of those jobs. There are many businesses in need of the services of worthy shop attendants in Ghana. But the question is, are people well equipped to survive the demands of the field?
In this article. I will get into the details of who exactly a shop attendant is, what they do and how to get a shop attendant job in Ghana.
Let this be clear; shop attendant jobs pay quite well; some pay even more than entry-level jobs for degree holders. And you don’t always need a degree to get a job to work at a shop at such a level. If you think a shop attendant is not for you, I advise you to read the next paragraphs with an open mind because starting out as a shop attendant is a great opportunity to get into one of the oldest and thriving industries; The Retail Industry.
Who is a Shop Attendant?
Shop attendants may be called differently depending on where the individual is working. Shop assistants may bear the title of Store Assistants, Retail Sales Assistants, and Sales Assistants, or Shop Assistants. There are also fuel pump attendants for filling stations. In the retail industry, a shopping center or provisions shop, shop attendants generally do similar things. On a general level, shop attendants help customers in a shop. They “attend ”to the needs of the customer as well as the needs of the shop. They work to keep the shop a welcoming place and this includes a number of roles and responsibilities.
What Does a Shop Attendant Do?
Shop attendants do varying things and are responsible for quite a number of things in the stop setting. This list isn’t exhaustive but covers the essential aspects of the work involved in working at a shop. The exact roles and responsibilities will come from your employer.
- Welcome and greet customers. An essential part of the shopping experience.
- Receiving, processing, and organizing products in the shop. Being efficient and effective in processing the purchase orders.
- Restocking sold out or low shop items products and ensuring that the shop is well organized for customers to easily go about their shopping.
- Assisting customers in locating desired shop items.
- Informing customers of shop promotions to encourage them to buy.
- Accurately describe product features and benefits
- Performing end-of-day cleaning duties, which includes wiping down windows, mirrors, and fixtures as well as sweeping and mopping the shop floor.
- Addressing and resolving customers’ complaints in a professional and acceptably humane manner.
- Keep up to date with product information
- Processing customer payments using the shop’s Point of Sale (POS) system – if any.
- Maintaining an in-depth knowledge of store items to provide advice and recommendations as needed.
Skills and Requirements for Success as a Shop Attendant
The work of a shop attendant demands more skills than education. Advancing to higher levels of responsibility will definitely require education. This list is for entry-level positions that most people can learn to do on the job.
- Understand the common language (Twi, Dagbani, Ga, Dagaare, etc) as well as English which is the official language of Ghana.
- Good communication abilities
- Professional customer service relations skills
- Good at record-keeping
- Basic skills in administration
- Computer Literacy
- Must be physically fit as shop attendants often stand for long periods
- A good eye for details and small things
- Friendly, helpful, confident, and engaging personality
- Most do not require education but a good number require not lower than WASSCE qualifications.
How to Get a Shop Attendant Job in Ghana
Shop attendant jobs are one of the most flexible jobs you can have. With little to no education, you can quickly get started. However, to get to high-level roles in the retail field, you will eventually need some qualifications and good education.
Lots of shop attendant Jobs in Ghana do not require experience. But we would provide some qualifications you may want to have in order to gain higher-level roles especially in the management area and becoming a player in logistics and transport.
There are many skills utilized in the retail and shop assistant space. These skills can mostly be acquired and learned in the field itself.
When it comes to degrees, there are a number of programs you can enroll in to give you the edge to gain management level roles. One of such qualifications is a degree in marketing, customer relationship management, business administration, and logistics management. Others include qualifications in supply chain management, quality control, and risk analysis.
These degrees will require substantial time and funds. If you are working on a tight budget, you might want to start on the lower end of the retail field and learn your way through. Acquire your qualifications while learning on the job. This provides a very good mix of theory and practice giving you a greater edge over those with just one.
Steps to Getting a Shop Attendant Job in Ghana
The first step is to visit the TonatonJOBS platform to create a profile. It is an easy process and takes only a few minutes to complete. Creating your profile is the easiest way to build your resume which potential employers will use to shortlist you. The platform has lots of receptionist jobs, office assistant jobs, and storekeeper jobs waiting to be filled.
The final step is to prepare for an interview. Due to the nature of the job, you can expect it will require practical problem-solving skills which you may already have. But answering the common interview questions may not be something you know. Go through some practice over answering any question you think might be asked and prepare adequately for the interview.
Top Shop/Retail Job Titles
- Customer Service Assistant
- Stocker / Placer
- Warehouse Associate – Material Handler
- Sales Manager
- Store Manager
- Warehouse Manager
- Retail Sales Associate
A shop attendant is the perfect job for someone with little education but wants to learn on the job, grow and become a successful retail executive. In the retail industry, you can learn as you work toward your education which will help you merit and climb to higher positions in your company.