Housekeeping is a versatile job. If you love to serve people, the roles and responsibilities of a housekeeper will come naturally to you. Housekeeper jobs are some of the roles that are always in demand in our TonatonJOBS portal. Housekeeping is needed in quite a lot of places. Such as hotels, public buildings, private residences, homes, apartment complexes… the list goes on.
Overview of Housekeeping Jobs Responsibilities and Duties
Due to the nature of the work of a housekeeper, you may find yourself working at odd hours such as at night, very early in the morning, or even being in your place of work for extended periods. Take the job of a nanny for instance. Nannies take care of children at home. Due to work schedules and the nature of work, some mothers and fathers may not have the time to be there on a consistent basis for their children. This makes the work of the nanny extremely important in filling in for the parents on most occasions which may include full daycare.
Another housekeeping job role that is consistently in demand is house help. These special housekeepers are sometimes in the house and stay with the family as their work takes on many forms from cooking to doing laundry to shopping and even taking care of kids. It is a complete schedule.
Housekeeping generally comes with certain responsibilities and duties which match the setting or environment of the job. If it is an office, your responsibilities could be mainly cleaning. Depending on the office again, you may have to be present throughout the workday. Banks for instance are very busy places hence they get dirty pretty fast. As a cleaner, you would be required to be on standby to ensure that it stays clean.
We will look into details about the roles and responsibilities of a housekeeper. We will present to you a general overview of the duties as well as duties as you climb up the ladder as a housekeeper.
Grow on the Job
One good thing about housekeeping is that you don’t necessarily need a formal education to get a well-paying job. Of course, you will need some education if you are aiming for higher-level managerial roles. However, you can work on your education while you start at an entry-level opportunity.
Routine Responsibilities For Housekeepers
The tasks and responsibilities for a good keeper are quite many and vary slightly depending on whether it is generally such as a home care provider or specific to a particular task such as cleaning as popularly demanded by corporate offices. We will list a general overview of what all housekeepers are required to do.
- Dusting and polishing the furniture in the facility
- Cleaning and sanitizing toilets, showers/bathtubs, and sinks
- Maintaining a clean and sanitary kitchen area
- Making beds and changing linens regularly
- Washing or cleaning windows
- Sweeping/vacuuming, polishing, cleaning carpets and rugs, and mopping hard floors
- Sorting, washing, loading, and unloading laundry
- Ironing clothing items and keeping them at their appropriate places.
- Using any cleaning equipment such as vacuums, mops, detergents, and other cleaning tools
- Keeping bathrooms stocked with clean toiletries, and other supplies
- Cleaning mirrors and other glass surfaces
- Emptying trash receptacles and disposing of waste
- Steaming and cleaning draperies
- Tidying up rooms
- Monitoring cleaning supplies and reporting to patrons for restocking arrangements to be made.
- Reporting any necessary repairs or replacements as early as the observation is made.
- Management Level Roles and Responsibilities for Housekeepers
Using Tools and Equipment as a Housekeeper
As a housekeeper, you would be responsible for a lot of things that require the use of tools, equipment, and materials. Cleaning for instance requires the use of mops, buckets, detergents, and the proper use of gloves and safety equipment depending on the safety levels of the workplace.
- Furniture polish
- Glass cleaner
- Multipurpose cleaner
- Mildew cleaner
- De –scaler
- Floor cleaner
- Toilet cleaner
- Washing up liquid
- Oven cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Dishwasher chemicals
Managerial Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing all housekeeping activities and workers
- Drawing shifts for staff
- Making sure safety precautions are adhered to at all times
- Managing inventory of all materials, equipment, and tools used.
- Helping Staff in busy times
- Hiring and firing staff
- Distributing roles
Managerial Level Roles in Housekeeping
- Manager of Housekeeping
- Director of Maintenance
- Director of Operations
- Executive Housekeeper
- Housekeeping Aide
- Housekeeping Supervisor
- Lead Housekeeper
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Maintenance Worker
Skills Required for Getting a Housekeeping Job
There are two types of skills required for every job. These are soft and hard skills. Hard Skills are more specific to your job while soft skills are universal and required in every other job.
- Working quickly without compromising quality
- Attention to the details of the job
- Organizational skills
- Prioritization and time management skills
- The ability to learn and adapt within the environment of work
- Ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance
- Customer-oriented and friendly
- Carpet cleaning
- Deep cleaning
- Window treatment cleaning
- Bathroom and bedroom cleaning
- Infection control
Top Housekeeping Jobs in Ghana on TonatonJOBS
- House help
- Home Care Agent/Assistant/Provider
- School Cleaner
- Bank Cleaner
- Airport Cleaners
Salary for Housekeeping and Cleaning Jobs In Ghana
According to mywage.org, the average salary for a domestic housekeeper is between GH₵328.88 to GH₵1,649.58 in 2021. This is good money and surpasses some office jobs. If keeping people happy and maintaining places is what makes you happy, you should give housekeeping a try.
General Requirements for Getting a Housekeeping Job
- Proven experience as a Cleaner or Housekeeper.
- Ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance.
- Customer-oriented and friendly.
- Prioritization and time management skills.
- Working quickly without compromising quality.
- Knowledge of the English language. (Dependent on work environment)
Our homes, offices, public event centers, and other facilities are what they are because of the wonderful work housekeepers do. And being in such a profession would be fulfilling for you as a person. You might want to get acquainted with the common interview questions and answers in order to get a good-paying job in the field.